We hear a lot about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) education these days. In case you’ve wondered about the practicality of emphasizing these subjects, Register Construction would like to highlight the value of a STEM-focused education when it comes to the construction industry.
Why Does STEM Matter?
Technology has risen in prominence in virtually every aspect of our modern lives. But there’s more to technology than just cellphones and computers! Construction is often overlooked as a STEM field, but it truly is one.
Think about what really goes into a construction project. We at Register Construction are dealing with concepts of engineering, mathematics, and more on a daily basis. From the ground up, technology and science play a huge role.
- Geography and climatology are two earth sciences involved in the selection of a build site.
- For a crane to be safely utilized, consideration must be given to gravity, weight, and motion – prominent concepts in concepts.
- Materials science involves studying properties such as density, durability, flammability, conductivity, and more. This information helps us make better decisions regarding what building materials to use for a given project.
- Electricians must be knowledgeable about electrodynamics for safety and effectiveness.
- Welding involves a working knowledge of metallurgy.
These are just some examples of how various sciences are actively applied in everyday construction work. There are plenty more reasons that STEM education is valuable. For one thing, teaching students about science helps them learn problem-solving skills that are useful no matter what field they choose to work in.
Register Construction Supports STEM Education
At Register Construction, we are proud of the work that we’ve done on Project Skylab at the Aerospace Center for Excellence (ACE) in Lakeland, Florida. This facility at Lakeland Linder International Airport is a state-of-the-art educational center dedicated to inspiring young people to aim for the sky and use STEM to get there!
Register Construction’s services include pre-construction, design-build, general contracting, and construction management throughout Polk County and Central Florida. We’ve worked in every sector, including industrial, manufacturing, automotive and retail, warehouse and distribution, office and medical, education, and cold storage. Reach out and learn what we can do for you.